Monday, December 5, 2011

Adams Turkey Farm and Maple Production


For the second piece of media convergence, I interviewed a local Vermont Farmer to see how he felt about the factory farming industry compared to the work he does. Here is an overview of the interview:

Me: What is your name and the name of you farm? How did you start this farm and why?
Dave: "My name is Dave Adams. My parents also work on the farm and their names are Dave and Judy Adams. My parents started this farm about 15 years ago. We're turkey farmers, we have organic and fresh turkey meat, along with other products."

Me: Give us an overview of your farm.
Dave: "We are a diversified family farm raising fresh vermont turkeys, maple syrup, christmas trees, pumpkins, gourds and we produce organic compost from farm by-products. We are located in Westford, VT. We also have a small retail store on the farm and mail-order maple syrup worldwide."

Me: Does your farm differ from other farms in Vermont? Other farms in the country?
Dave: "My parents and I are just like any other family farm in Vermont. We try to make fresh, healthy food available for our neighbors and some surrounding towns. We do not use chemicals, steroids or pesticides in any of our feed or fertilizers. We grow organic, and pride ourselves in that."

Me: How do you feel about factory farming?
Dave: "You know, I try not to think about it mostly. I just try to do my part. It's wrong, the way the food system works in our country, and even globally. And more so, it's just plain sad. I don't live on the farm with my parents, but the food I eat always comes from a local farmer around us. I trade turkeys for fresh bread and seasonal produce. We don't make a lot of money at our Turkey Farm, but we do what we can to get by. We're lucky to live in Vermont where there are so many people that care about us and our farm, right around the corner. We're lucky to be very well connected."


Contact Information:

Dave and Judy Adams
1192 Old Stage Road
Westford, VT
802-878-4726

No comments:

Post a Comment